Home Ownership– how to apply
Four fundamental criteria are used to determine who is selected to be a Habitat partner.
- Need for Shelter - The applicant's current shelter is inadequate because it is either structurally unsound, overcrowded, has unsanitary or unhealthy conditions, or the resident is paying more than 50% of household income for housing.
- Willingness to Partner - The applicant agrees to and completes 250-500 hours of sweat equity and participates in the partnering program which may include financial counseling and household management education.
- Ability to Pay - The applicant's Household income is between 30% and 50% of area’s median income based on family size. For a 20-25 year mortgage, a homeowner’s monthly housing expenses would be approximately $500 to $600 per month (includes mortgage payment, home insurance, property taxes, and utilities).
- Residency for at least a year in the Northern Berkshire County area and a commitment to remain within this community.
If you meet these criteria and wish to pursue home ownership through Habitat, learn more from our Fact Sheet for Families. A preliminary questionnaire can be submitted to express interest in applying for homeownership.
If you need further information and application materials:
- Call 413-664-4440 or leave a message with home address and phone number on the answering machine.
- E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Please include your current mailing address and phone number.
- Stop by our office, 61 Main Street, Suite 246, North Adams, Monday-Friday, 9am-noon.
- Mail to NBHfH, PO Box 391, North Adams, MA 01247.