Home Ownership– how to apply
Applications for homeownership are currently open
for a new 3 bedroom, 1-1/2 bath home to be built
at the corner of Cole Ave/Maple St in Williamstown
Deadline - March 30, 2018
Applicant Information Sessions
- Tuesday, February 20, 6-8pm, Williamstown Town Hall
- Monday, March 12, 6-8pm, NBHfH Office, 61 Main Street, Suite 246, North Adams
- Application forms will be available along with information about the Cole/Maple building project and members of the family selection committee will be available to answer questions about selection criteria and the application process
- Fact Sheet for Family applicants.
Applications and information can also be obtained:
Three fundamental criteria are used to determine who is selected to be a Habitat partner.
- Need for Shelter- The applicant’s current shelter is inadequate because it is structurally unsound, is overcrowded, has unsanitary or unhealthy conditions, is in an unsafe neighborhood, needs basic repairs that the landlord will not make, or the resident is paying more the 50% of the household income for housing.
- Willingness to Partner- The applicant agrees to work cooperatively with NBHfH from the time of selection until the mortgage is paid off. They must attend meetings with NBHfH representatives for financial counseling and homeownership education, and must help build their own home, completing a minimum of 250 hours of sweat equity per adult in the home.
- Ability to Pay- The applicant shows a stable and adequate income, evidence of an ability to manage money responsibly. The applicant's household income is between 30% and 60% of area’s median income based on family size.
Northern Berkshire Habitat for Humanity does not discriminate in the selection of applicants on the basis of race, color, national origin, disability, ancestry, children, familial status, genetic information, marital status, public assistance recipiency, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran/military status, or any other basis prohibited by law.