Northern Berkshire Habitat for Humanity (NBHfH) is now accepting applications for a 3-bedroom, 1.5 bath home, located in Williamstown at 14 Maple Street. Construction will begin this fall. Rendering of the finished home:
Three fundamental criteria are used to determine who is selected to be a Habitat partner:
- Need for Shelter- The applicant’s current shelter is inadequate because it is structurally unsound, is overcrowded, has unsanitary or unhealthy conditions, is in an unsafe neighborhood, needs basic repairs that the landlord will not make, or the resident is paying more the 50% of the household income for housing.
- Willingness to Partner- The applicant agrees to work cooperatively with NBHfH from the time of selection until the mortgage is paid off. They must attend meetings with NBHfH representatives for financial counseling and homeownership education and must help build their own home, completing a minimum of 250 hours of sweat equity per adult in the home.
- Ability to Pay- The applicant shows a stable and adequate income, evidence of an ability to manage money responsibly. The applicant's household income is between 30% and 60% of the area’s median income based on family size.
The home will be priced at no more than $147,000, with a final price and mortgage term set to ensure the selected family’s housing costs do not exceed 30% of their total income. The home will be available to families with incomes up to 60% of area median income based on family size.
The application deadline is Friday, October 22, 2021. Individual information sessions will be available by appointment These sessions are for family applicants to learn more about the project and eligibility for homeownership, as well as to get assistance with the application. The information sessions can be scheduled by calling 413-664-4440 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
More detailed information is available in the downloadable forms below. The NBHfH Application can be submitted to our office at 61 Main Street, Suite 246, North Adams, MA 01267. Additional information is available through our office by phoning 413-664-4440, emailing email@example.com, or stop into the office Monday-Friday 9 am-noon.
- Fact Sheet for Families
- NBHfH Applicant Cover Letter 2021 (Applicant Instructions and Information)
- NBHfH Application 2021
- LIP Disclosure Statement 2021
Northern Berkshire Habitat for Humanity does not discriminate in the selection of applicants on the basis of race, color, national origin, disability, ancestry, children, familial status, genetic information, marital status, public assistance recipiency, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran/military status, or any other basis prohibited by law.